2012-06-05 - For four decades the United Nations has celebrated World Environment Day (WED) on June 5 in an effort to stimulate worldwide awareness of the environment.
This year’s program promotes the Green Economy: Does it include you? It highlights the important role we can all play in the improvement of human well-being and social equity, while remaining mindful of the risks to our environment, its ecology and its scarce resources. In its simplest form, a green economy can be thought of as one which generates low carbon emissions, is resource efficient, safeguards biodiversity and is socially inclusive.
The question is: Are you part of it?
Here are six examples highlighting ABB's engagement in the Green Economy. Click on the text beneath the image to read more.
Through our business, ABB engages customers, employees, suppliers, business partners and communities to create innovative solutions to some of the world’s challenges. These include the need to strengthen resource efficiency – finding ways to do more with less for a more sustainable world.
Our key focus areas for improving sustainability performance are:
- Developing world-class products, systems and services to lower our customers’ energy use, reduce their emissions and improve resource efficiency on a long-term basis.
- Ensuring our own operations are energy and resource efficient.
- Proactively ensuring our suppliers, employees and business partners work in a safe, healthy and secure environment, and to the highest standards of integrity.
- Creating value and promoting social development in communities where we operate.
- Strengthening employees’ involvement and commitment to improve the company’s sustainability performance.
Which projects are you involved in to promote a Green Economy?
Stay in the loop: